Since 1961, Food Toxicology has been engaged in the safety evaluation of a broad range of compounds from food additives and enzymes to various nutritional compounds and novel foods.
The value of experience
Our outstanding track record adds value in:
- Preparation of tailor-made experimental diets, with a strong focus on maintaining dietary balance;
- Safety testing of novel and functional foods;
- Extensive experience with toxicity testing of whole foods and macronutrients (e.g. poorly digestible carbohydrates, amino acids, PUFAs);
- Flexibility in study designs and clever combination of end points resulting in cost and time savings;
- Scientific approach enabling a balanced interpretation, discussion and evaluation of observed effects and possible need for further testing.
In close cooperation with our parent company, TNO, we are able to provide a full range of regulatory consultancy services, ranging from support on food regulatory aspects to a regulatory framework assessment or a data gap analysis. We have a sound track record of successful involvement in European regulatory procedures for Functional Foods and Ingredients, Novel Foods, Genetically Modified Foods, Flavourings, Additives and Enzymes, Feed Additives, Food Supplements, Foods for Particular Nutritional Uses and Food Packaging. Many of our pathologists and toxicologists serve as members of prestigious national and international committees, ensuring that our knowledge of the regulatory framework is state-of-the-art.
Needless to say, we offer a full range of study designs in full compliance with GLP and international guidelines (OECD, ICH, EU, FDA). These range from acute toxicity to skin and eye irritation, sensitisation, genotoxicity, repeated dose studies and chronic toxicity up to carcinogenicity studies.